Sunday, May 27, 2007

You Say Goodbye, I Say Hello


Quote of the day:
"Art is the means we have of undoing the damage of haste. It's what everything else isn't."
--Theodore Roethke

This has been a very, very quiet Memorial Day Sunday for us. We like it that way. We’ve been listening to music and reading all day.

Most of my life I’ve been going when others are stopping or stopping when others are going. It’s a way to avoid the crowds. Just like when Merrie and I eat lunch at our favorite hangout at 4 o’clock.

I’ve always enjoyed not being around when other people are. And being around when most others aren’t.

As a broadcaster, work hours are often very odd. I worked many holidays and weekends and took days off during the week. Also, often I seemed to be arriving at work just as others were leaving. When I started I worked a lot of odd shifts.

In the ministry, your work is organized around Sunday. Often Saturdays are punctuated by weddings, meetings or other events. Most ministers who wish to retain their sanity try to take off either Monday or Friday. If they get along with their congregations they take off another day also.

Only very, very rarely do I think that being out of sync is a bad thing.

No comments: