Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Twisted Voting


Quote of the day:
“It’s the job of intellectuals and writers to cast doubt on perfection.”
--Antonio Tabucchi

Here I go, writing about American Idol for the second day in a row. Maybe I’m losing my mind.

A gasp was heard across the nation tonight, as Ryan Seacrest revealed that Blake and Jordin would be on the final episode. Melinda had the lowest number of call-in votes and was eliminated.

I had not done an extensive survey, but from what I did read and hear, it seemed almost certain that Melinda would be in the final. People agreed that she was the best singer on the show. Randy, Paula and Simon as much as said that. I think she’s the best of the last three seasons.

She was not eliminated because “the audience” voted her off. What we have here is a particularity of voting.

Consider this. Melinda is a fairly sophisticated singer with a strong adult appeal. Blake is hip, happening and poppy. Jordin is 17 and very likeable.

Then consider this. While a wide variety of people vote after the show airs, most of the votes are cast by those under 25--and especially those under 18. Many teens and their friends are voting dozens if not hundreds of times.

While I’m sure there are many teens who like Melinda, her primary appeal is older--among people who may vote two or three times if they vote at all.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter that she will not win the competition. Melinda’s talent will take her far indeed. I will be interested to hear her first album.

No comments: