Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Almost an ER Trifecta


Quote of the day:
“I believe in the culture war. And you know what? If I have to take a side in the culture war, I’ll take their side. Because if you give me the choice of Paris Hilton or Jesus, I’ll take Jesus.”
--Alexandra Pelosi (daughter of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi)

Guess who almost went to the emergency room today? C’est moi.

I was at the dentist to have some work done, and just after getting the shot of anesthetic, I felt really sick and lost consciousness.

I woke up after a minute or so and the dentist told me she had called 911. Even though I was feeling better, she insisted that they check me out.

So there we all were: two firemen, two paramedics, the dentist, the nurse and me. They all stood looking at me lying in the dentist chair.

All my vital signs were fine. They even took an EKG. It was normal, but the paramedics advised me to go with them to the ER to get checked out. I said no and signed a release. Everyone cleared out.

The dentist and I decided to go on with the procedure. It was a piece of cake compared to lying there with electrodes on my chest.

I went to see a doctor later in the day. He said I had just fainted and that I should request a different anesthetic next time. I’m following up with my personal physician next week.

In the meantime, I’m fine.

No comments: