Friday, May 25, 2007

Hitting the Road


Quote of the day:
"There's an elegiac quality in watching [American wilderness] go, because it's our own myth, the American frontier, that's deteriorating before our eyes. I feel a deep sorrow that my kids will never get to see what I've seen, and their kids will see nothing; there's a deep sadness whenever I look at nature now."
--Peter Matthiessen

As usual, this holiday weekend began about 10:30 this morning as people across the country flipped on the “I’m on vacation” lights on the tops of their heads. Some people needed to stay at work pretending to do something for a few hours. But most everyone was gone by noon, or 1:15 at the latest.

The expectation is that some one-third of America will travel this Memorial Day. Here in San Diego we can actually feel the ground tip slightly as the inland population goes down and people from everywhere cram the beaches and attractions.

As for Merrie and me, we are vacationing at our favorite place, our home. We’ll relish the quiet and the ease of doing things with so many folks gone.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

No comments: