Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Ahead: Lots O' Waggin'


Quote of the day:
“I have long thought that anyone who does not regularly gaze up and see the wonder and glory of a dark night sky filled with countless stars loses a sense of their fundamental connectedness to the universe.”
--Brian Greene

Quote of the day no. 2:
“Maybe the best we can do is do what we love as best we can.”
--Galway Kinnell

Last night I started Merrie’s car for the first time in almost three weeks, and drove it to the gas station and back. When I came back in the house, Sophie the German Shepherd mix took a keen interest in my shoes and ankles, and got quite excited. I was carrying Merrie’s scent from the car.

When I brought home some of Merrie’s clothes today, Sophie took a very close interest as I put them in the hamper. She tried to go running off with a sock. Later she retrieved the plastic bag I carried them in, and I caught her disassembling it.

If all goes well in the next 24 hours, we are getting ready to come home late tomorrow. There will be an IV antibiotic for a few days, and several other medications for the long term, including forever. But Merrie will be able to sleep in her own bed, and sit in her own chairs, and move between them under her own power. For this, we are grateful.

It’s been three weeks in the hospital. It feels like three months. We are both looking forward to lots of quiet time at home, relishing the simple things. And we are planning a special, low-key celebration for Merrie’s birthday at the end of the month.

No comments: