Sunday, October 1, 2006

The 60 Minutes Effect


Quote of the Day:
“The problem with my problems is that they follow me wherever I go.”
--Dr. Duh

Ridiculous Quote of the Day:
“I think I work really well with people, as long as they stick to my game plan.”
--Julie, a Real Estate Agent featured on “Flip That House”
(Memo to Julie: How, exactly, does this distinguish you from the other 5 billion living people? And maybe even some dead ones?)

Endearing Boss Quote of the Day:
"I think it's useful to wake people up and remind them of how they get their paycheck.”
--Fox News Chief Roger Ailes, commenting on his practice of sometimes calling 5 a.m. staff meetings

Sunday is an especially interesting day of the week. For many folks for many years, it is a ritual to begin the end of the weekend by watching "60 Minutes" at 7 p.m. The original executive producer, Don Hewitt, once suggested that watching the show allowed viewers to assuage their guilt about not doing the serious work they had planned to do over the weekend.

While the show’s influence and ratings have faded a bit over the years, it remains a distinct marker in the weekends of many of us. Watch, sometime, how the numbers of folks out and about declines quite significantly between 6:30 and 7 on Sunday evenings. Might it be the “60 Minutes Effect”?

No comments: