Thursday, June 21, 2007

Bleak Yet Uplifting Art


Quote of the day:
“You who must leave everything that you cannot control,
it begins with your family and soon it gets down to your soul.”
--Leonard Cohen

A production of Edward Albee’s Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf just ended at San Diego’s Old Globe Theatre. It is a searing and thought-provoking play, made into an extraordinary 1966 film with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.

As I read a glowing review of the play I thought of how unwilling so many people are to see “bleak,” “depressing” or “angry” plays, movies or TV shows.

The statement that instantly pops up is: “My life is hard and depressing enough. When I go to the movies I want to see something uplifting or cheerful.” Or we hear the related statement: “I go to the movies to be entertained, not to think or be challenged.”

These are totally logical and understandable statements. We all want an enjoyable time at movies, plays or in front of the TV. Nothing wrong with that.

However, it is unfortunate when we seek to separate the enjoyable from the challenging aspects of art and entertainment. It’s like trying to separate the tastiness from the nutritiousness of food. And then wanting to eat only the sweetness, saltiness or sourness.

I find that when I seek out challenge in movies, plays, TV shows and art, it is always bound inextricably with enjoyment. And the enjoyment can be especially profound and long-lasting.

This is what makes art and entertainment enriching, life-enhancing and life-affirming.

No comments: