Saturday, February 16, 2008

All the Candidates are Good


Quote of the day:
“The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish spurting out ink.”
--George Orwell

For the sake of sanity and perspective, I want to just make a quick list of positive attributes of each of the presidential candidates. This is not about issues or politics, but rather my judgment of the two unique qualities of each of them. You may have a very different list.

Barack Obama
Very articulate, eloquent and charismatic.
Delivers a healing message of the vital need for unity.

Hillary Clinton
Very hard worker and detail oriented.
Deeply passionate about improving people’s lives, and that government can be a powerful force for good.

John McCain
Has coauthored and cosponsored with Democrats several important and controversial pieces of legislation.
Is gregarious, open and speaks his mind, especially with the press.

As I say, you may have a very different list. But the point is that each of the three candidates brings something very important and very positive to the presidency.

I agree with and relate to one of them more than the other two, and I sometimes find myself feeling very strongly about it.

But when I step back a bit and really think about the realities of our world right now, I begin to realize that each of them has a good shot at being an effective president.

No comments: