Thursday, December 20, 2007

Juno


Quote of the day:
"Homo sapiens [are] a tiny twig on an improbable branch of a contingent limb on a fortunate tree."
--Stephen Jay Gould

My, my, my, there is such a buzz around the movie “Juno.” It is a veritable hive of bees everywhere we look. Buzz, buzz, buzz.

It’s quite an enjoyable film, and it’s true that 19-year-old actress Ellen Page is mighty entertaining and quite talented. It’s fun to see that most of the actors clearly relish their roles.

I think J. K. Simmons is especially good as Juno’s father. I hope he gets a supporting actor nomination from the Academy.

This film has been compared to “Little Miss Sunshine,” and it does have a similar tone to it.

“Juno” really is a very offbeat romantic comedy. This might seem weird, but it reminded me of Frank Capra’s “It Happened One Night” from 1934.

Of course, “Juno” has 2007 sensibilities, and it deals with a younger couple than Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. But both films share an endearing lightness and authenticity.

“Juno” is a good film for the holidays. Just watch out for the buzz.

No comments: