Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Device of the Year


Quote of the day:
“When a person says his ‘x’ is just as good as a ‘y,’ he really wants a ‘y.’”
--Preston Creston

It’s the device of the year. In fact, it’s probably the device of the decade.

You know what I’m talking about. It’s the iPhone.

This year Apple will bring out a version that has 16 gigabytes of storage--and 32 gigabytes is not too far after that. They are pushing hard for more advances in flash-memory, for more music and video storage.

There’s also been much talk about the coming release of a new iPhone using fast 3G technology for internet access. We may see this in 2008.

Some people continue to express amazement at the popularity of the iPhone, since other devices can do what it does--sometimes faster or more cheaply.

Yet they continue to sell like crazy. When Merrie and I visited our Apple store last month, people on both sides of us in the checkout lines were buying iPhones, for themselves and their friends.

The thing is this. While Blackberrys or phones from Nokia or Samsung may have similar, even faster capabilities, they are nowhere near as easy to use.

Yes, I know. No one needs an iPhone. No one needs a television or a computer either.

But the iPhone is just fun. Send a text message, touch the screen to call a friend, look up something you're curious about, watch a podcast, sit back and listen to some music, check your calendar, read and respond to your e-mail, check the weather, read the news. All you have to do is get it out of your pocket or purse.

And, I repeat, it’s fun.

This is not a trivial or unnecessary doodad. We are way beyond doodad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use my iPhone many times a day, rarely to make a call, though! Checking email, finding an address, playing a game online while waiting, writing myself a note, scheduling a date, etc.

For example, the other day we heard a version of the song, "Losing You" by Rare Earth on the radio. I seemed to remember that someone else had done it, could even hear it in my mind but couldn't remember who. No problem, just whip out the iPhone, enter some information into Google and voila- I not only found out it was Rod Stewart but also watched a video on YouTube with the song in it so that I could confirm that it was truly the one I was thinking of!

I've only had it a month and a half and am already bound to it very tightly.

Craig Dorval said...

And you could've touched "iTunes" and bought the song on the spot!

It's been six months for us, and I've become quite attached to the convenience of always having all this capability in my pocket. I really think that, 20 years from now, most everyone will be carrying a device like this.