Monday, December 31, 2007

Important People of 2008


Quote of the day:
"I opened the door for a lot of people, and they just ran through and left me holding the knob."
--Bo Diddley

The last days of the year bring lists of big events of the past year, and those who have died in the past year.

I’m gratified to see the variety in this latter list. Sure, there are some past mega-celebrities on it. But there are also people who were less known.

It’s apparent that there is no necessary relationship between how well known someone is and the extent of their lasting influence. Example: more Americans know Paris Hilton (even though she has been tragically missing from the news for ALMOST FOUR MONTHS!) than know Mother Theresa. ‘Nuff said.

By the way, quick, who came in second on last year’s “American Idol”? Time’s up.

Applicable truism of the day: “Fame is fleeting.”

Here’s an exercise. In one minute, name as many people as you can who lived (and died) in the 19th century. Even though he was born in 1890, Groucho Marx doesn’t count.

Interesting list, isn’t it? Our grandparents or great-grandparents could name dozens of famous people who are unknown to us now.

I don’t know about you, but my 19th-century list is a few former presidents, writers, composers and scientists. I was confused on some dates and had to look them up after my minute was up, thus shortening my list.

Mark Twain may be the best-known 19th-century non-politician (he died in 1910--we’re being a bit flexible). How many other non-politicians can you name?

Now let’s talk 18th century....

The whole point is that all these celebrities who we think are so influential and important are neither in the long run. One reason we think these people are so important is simply because they are known. Their real influence is completely separate from their fame.

And it’s the influence that lasts. When we look at our 19th-century lists we can begin to see what makes lasting influence.

On a personal level, we can think about our own lives and who we remember from the past. Why do we remember them?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,Craig. John Kingston here. One of my favorite yet ghoulish end-of-year treats is to read the New York Times Sunday magazine at the close of the year, where they write about two dozen or so people who died during the year. Some of them were extremely famous; others who had their 15 minutes. It's some of the best writing I see each year. I highly recommend it.

Craig Dorval said...

Thanks, John. I've seen it in past years. I'll check it out.