Monday, October 8, 2007

A World Unchanging, In the Back of the Newspaper


Quote of the day:
“Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it’s dark.”
--Zen Proverb

John G commented last Thursday that Tom Baituk, cartoonist of “Funky Winkerbean,” might be a bit unreasonable in killing off two younger characters since 1995.

He mentioned that there are characters in “Crankshaft” who just go on and on--including one with Alzheimer’s. This is an excellent point.

Think about it. Dagwood Bumstead looks pretty good for 105. And Jeffy in “Family Circle” has taken longer to reach his growth spurt than anyone I’ve ever met--some 30 years. And, as John says, everyone in “Peanuts” is in their fifties.

The world we live in is changing and uncertain and sometimes threatening. So we look for “unchanging” places to anchor ourselves. This is how many people view their church--the most important characteristic is the longstanding weekly traditions.

In the midst of a chaotic world, church can be an oasis.

Comics are viewed the same way, I think. That’s why most comic characters are frozen in time--they don’t age or change.

That’s also why there’s such a flood of criticism when comics deal with anything contemporary, realistic or “close to home.”

It might be the politics of “Doonesbury” or the real families of “Funky Winkerbean” or “For Better or For Worse.” Many people find it disturbing when real uncertainty or fear come to the comic page.

And they find it even more disturbing when a favorite comic is moved or discontinued. Newspaper editors say they get more mail about changes in the comics than in any other part of the paper.

We depend on them, and we escape to them daily.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are STILL upset that Calvin & Hobbes is no more!

Anonymous said...

You got that right! I never have forgiven the Union Tribune for dumping Overboard--my particular favorite. The antics of that band of lazy, crazy, conniving, incompetent pirates and their dog, Louie, was laugh-out-loud funny.
I still have fond memories of sitting in my grandpa's lap as he read me the funnies--The Katzenjammer Kids, Barney Google and Snuffy Smith, Smokey Stover, Andy Capp, Donde, Little Orphan Annie, Li'l Abner, Nancy, Alley Oop, Dick Tracy and others--from the Columbus Dispatch.
Craig, I think you might have missed my earlier comments from your September 20 columnn about Funky Winkerbean and my reminisce on the loss of my best friend from cancer.

Craig Dorval said...

Count me among those upset about Calvin and Hobbes. It was classic!

Craig Dorval said...

Hi Lynda! We had a limited comic selection in our paper when I was growing up. But I remember very well following Beetle Bailey, Blondie, Bringing Up Father and Snuffy Smith.

Saw your earlier comment and had it "filed away." I'll be leaving a response on that post.