Tuesday, January 29, 2008

World According to Puppy


Quote of the day:
“Bad spellers untie!”
--Unknown

Our puppy Sherman’s very enticing view of the world consists of just two things: fun and sleep. I can learn a lot from this.

I have always been very focused on work and being productive. Sometimes I make fun into work. I know it’s supposed to be the other way around. But I still do it.

An activity or an attraction gets a great review in the newspaper and I think it will be fun. It requires planning, traveling and paying admission, all of which I do. And I discover lots and lots of other people who had the same idea.

The outing becomes primarily an exercise in dealing with crowds and waiting. It becomes work. Or the planning to avoid these things becomes work.

All the while, I could’ve been having fun.

Sherman’s preferred toys are tennis balls, cardboard boxes and sticks that he finds outside. In addition to a few official toys which he mostly ignores, these things are scattered around our house and yard.

He just picks one of these things up and plays. Sometimes he wants us to participate.

Either way, it’s a simple thing. “I’m a puppy, so it’s time to have fun.”

Then, it will be time for a nap. So I’ll flop down and take one. Sleep is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See here