Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Savages


Quote of the day:
“A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.”
--Carl Reiner

“The Savages” snuck up on me.

I thought I was watching a rather ordinary story about an adult sister and brother trying to take care of their disagreeable father who has dementia.

It turns out I WAS watching a rather ordinary story about an adult sister and brother trying to take care of their disagreeable father (Phillip Bosco) who has dementia. What becomes apparent is that the brother (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) and the sister (Laura Linney) are not able emotionally to care for each other or themselves.

This is a moving story about how emotions go underground, and the social awkwardness and grief that results.

When I think of a movie with that theme, I would likely think of the cliche “searing drama.” But this isn’t a searing drama. None of the actors are compelled to be searingly dramatic.

It’s just an everyday story about people in a common situation. They are trying to live their lives, but they are haunted. As so many of us are.

The power of “The Savages” is in its ordinariness. It puts both the tragedy and ultimate hope of the film in just the right perspective.

No comments: