Sunday, April 15, 2007

Toys as Cultural Markers


How’s Merrie doing? She’s feeling good, and looking good. And we’re thankful.

Quote of the day:
"I condemn slavery, I banish poverty, I teach ignorance, I treat disease, I lighten the night, and I hate hatred. That is what I am, and that is why I have written Les Misérables."
--Victor Hugo

In last Friday’s Life magazine, there was an fun look at the biggest toys of the last 70 years. Each became a cultural icon.

The View-Master, 1939. They’re still around. 1.5 billion reels have been produced.

Slinky, 1945. Did you know its original intent was to stabilize nautical equipment? More than 300 million have been sold.

Mr Potato Head, 1952. 75 million, many thanks to the movie Toy Story.

Frisbee, 1957. Original name? Pluto Platter. 200 million and going strong, many in the teeth of very fine dogs.

Hot Wheels, 1968. 60 million just last year. That’s five times the number of real cars sold in 2006.

Rubik’s Cube, 1980. 300 million, and currently enjoying a resurgence.

Cabbage Patch Kids, 1983. Came with a birth certificate. Now original buyers are getting them for their children.

Tickle Me Elmo, 1996. Last year an anniversary edition nearly sold out on the day it was released.

No comments: