Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hokie Grief, Hokie Hope

Quote of the day:
“We are not moving on. We are embracing our grief.”
--Nikki Giovanni, professor, Virginia Tech

Quote of the day no. 2:
“I remember thinking on Sept. 11th how I was so lucky to be where I was because it was possibly the safest place on earth.”
--Former student, Virginia Tech

My niece is a recent graduate of Virginia Tech. In an e-mail yesterday, she described her reaction to the shootings:

“It's really surreal right now.  Yesterday was a lot of shock and disbelief.  This is just not something that happens in Blacksburg.  The usual crimes are alcohol abuse, fraternity pranks or misbehaving football players.  There's just no frame of reference for violence like this.

“Clearly everyone I know is really upset.  As it sinks in it's been a lot of sadness and grief.  I was telling someone earlier that I've always thought of Blacksburg and Virginia Tech as a safe haven, this place that holds only good memories for me and my friends, and now I feel so violated.  How could someone ruin that peace? 

“I don't know how a person has the capacity to walk into classrooms and do that; much less someone I can see myself walking on campus with.  I remember thinking on Sept. 11th how I was so lucky to be where I was because it was possibly the safest place on earth.  It's been hard to have that feeling destroyed and seeing the VT logo displayed all over the news under the word ‘massacre.’
 
“There are a lot of rumors flying around the e-mail world right now.  But basically the general feeling is grief and loss.  People are pretty upset at the media for trying to blame the administration.  There's a lot of support for President Steger and how well he's handling it all despite the media questions on what he could have done differently in those two hours.  I think we're all hoping this doesn't tear the campus apart in debate.  That would be the only way to make this event sadder.
 
“Anyhow, I expect today and tomorrow to be pretty awful since they'll start releasing names and photos and interviewing families.  I'm sad, very sad.  But after some grieving I think the students, faculty and alumni will move forward together, and that's what I'm looking forward to right now.   
 
“I will be okay, I'm still sort of reeling from it all and processing it.  In true Hokie Spirit, my office-mate is wearing his ugly maroon and orange VT tie today.  That made me smile, because that's what VT is all about. 
 
“It really has been a trying week and I think there are some more tough times ahead before any healing can start.  I have an amazing support system, as well as fabulous Hokie friends, so everyone has really been pulling together and that is always a great comfort. 

“I think we all have a lot of grieving to do before we move forward, but the community spirit of VT and Blacksburg has always been what made it such a wonderful place, so I don't doubt that both grieving and moving on will happen together.  But right now there is just a lot of sadness.

“Keep sending good thoughts and prayers down to Blacksburg, they need it.”

No comments: