Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Some Reactions to Previous Posts...


From Andy Breece:

25 August Dorvalog, "We Are Always Less Biased Than Others":
"The brain cannot see itself fooling itself."
--David Gilbert, Harvard psychologist

Elicited: 
"Most people believe the truth."
--Andy Breece, aka "Dr. Insight" :-)

To clarify by extreme examples: If everyone believed the world was flat, then for all practical human purposes, it would be flat.  A more "down to earth" example, if a vertical rise had been originally defined to be "down" - then up would be "down" today.

P.S. I am not cynical!  Everyone else is gullible.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

2 September Dorvalog, Let’s Say It Together: “Plausible”:
"Are we not trusting our own eyes, ears and judgment anymore? If not, what or who do we trust?"

Evoked:
I never trust my eyes and ears, but my judgement is perfect. :-)

Seriously, I have learned to distrust my own eyes and ears (especially since my acute hearing has been dulled by train whistles, heavy metal, gunfire, jet takeoffs and aging joints).

I have learned that a fellow witness standing ten feet away sees something different - the angle of view is different, the lighting is different ... highlights and shadows emphasize and mask different elements. 

Perhaps more important is the inherent filter that gives substance and meaning to what we see 
 - the clarifying filter of our life experiences, "One man's backfire is another man's gunfire."
 - the clarifying filter of our needs and desires, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

What or who do I trust?  I trust in the Word as revealed to me through my blurry eyesight, tone deaf ears and limited intelligence, as applied to my life by an innate desire to be at ease with God's gifts. Grace be unto you. 
- - - - - - - - - - - -

24 August Dorvalog, Need and Addiction:
Quote: "The need for near-perfect certainty is a deeply entrenched delusion."
--former State Department aide Charles Hill

Provoked:
"Maybe he's wrong."

P.S. My needs are NOT delusional!  The absolute BEST ad agencies in the world get paid big bucks to make sure I know what my needs are.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - 

01 September Dorvalog, The Forces That Shape Us:
But there is an effect on all of us, because our parents and grandparents made countless life decisions based on the experience and effects of the war (WW II).  History is not just an academic subject.  It is a living part of us.

Evoked the thought:
Perhaps that's why genealogy, the study of one's ancestry, is so popular - it is really about us and where we came from - it's about real people we should know, about real events that affected their lives ... then ours.  

You and I are the sum total of all that has gone before - from Homer's Odyssey to the blood that dripped from Calvary's Cross to yesterday's unfelt wisp of air moved by the beat of a butterfly's wing 12,000 miles away - our paths cross and we have a billion times more in common than different, yet what we each bring to the crossing is unique - the crossing has forever affected us and the future.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Looking forward to more Dorvalogs,
Andy

No comments: