Thursday, September 27, 2007

Rhymes With High Cone


Quote of the day:
"We are two different nations, an artificial state created as a buffer between big powers, and we have nothing in common except a king, chocolate and beer."
Filip DeWinter, the leader of a right-wing Flemish party, on Belgium’s ethnic tensions (thanks to Andy)

Ah yes, the iPhone. As you may remember, Merrie and I were early adopters. Read that: standing in line on the day they went on sale. (The June 29 post has the blow-by-blow.)

Yes, Steve Jobs announced a $200 price cut a while back. Some folks were wildly wacko about this. As in, “how COULD they?”

That so many people took it so personally is an indicator of the odd bond many Mac users feel with Apple. It didn’t especially bother me. The price you pay for being an early adopter is that you pay more. Whether it’s worth it is a matter of debate.

I am a believer in the iPhone, which I think of as a non-device device. It is a non-gadget-like gadget that will relieve you of the need for just plain gadgets.

I promise not to go on and on. But I gotta say it is so much fun to be able to pull it out of my pocket and get maps, news, weather, stock quotes, e-mail and my favorite music and podcasts (I carry last week’s “News From Lake Wobegon” wherever I go, and Merrie always has “Meet the Press.”)

And phone, text, notepad, calculator, camera, photos and YouTube.

It’s just cool. If you don’t think so, that’s ok.

But it is most coolness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the newest "I'm cooler than you are" toy...I'm glad you are enjoying the killer features of this fresh -- thing...I will be one of the latecomers, no doubt...I didn't think I needed a cellphone...Then I didn't think I needed text-messaging...Then I didn't think I needed a camera phone...Most recently, I didn't think I needed a phone with short movie capability...Wrong I was on all counts...

I guess it's because it's such a good idea that iPhone users exhibit amazing pretentiousness...As I dislike that quality, it's easy to turn that dislike toward the object...And I do...

I am sure I will soon own a touch-screen do-everything phoneathingy...I'll be thrilled if it works in my backwoods, redneck, silly mountain town...heh...

Until then...You guys SUCK...

Jeez, I'm not cool...

Craig Dorval said...

Hi Mark! Hope you're doing well.

Too bad you're not cool... The pretentiousness and fanaticism of some iPhone types, and Mac types, and Apple types is strange indeed. I don't dislike it so much as I am curious and confused about it.

I confess I may be a fanatic myself. You'll have to talk with Merrie about that (and then you can ask me about her!) I'm probably especially susceptible because I'm a convert from Windows three years ago.

The iPhone is before its time. It can't do all things in all places--that day is likely far off. Maybe in 25 or 30 years the concept and technology will be ubiquitous.

I still don't need a cell phone, or texting, or camera phone, or YouTubing, or portable internet, or an iPod or any of it. But it's fun and convenient to have it all accessible, and I find I enjoy it more the longer I have it. It's an excellent product.

I didn't know you lived among rednecks. Best to Emily and Ian,,,